Steamship "Sir Walter Scott"

Loch Katrine (Gaelic "Cateran" - meaning a Highland robber) is just under 10 miles long and over 1 mile wide.

The Loch lies in the heart of the Trossachs. This is Clan MacGregor country. The clan graveyard can still be found near the head of the loch, as can Glengyle House, birthplace of the clan's most famous member Rob Roy MacGregor.

Loch Katrine's dramatic location was the inspiration for Sir Walter Scott's major work, "The Lady of the Lake".

   


The clean, pure waters of Loch Katrine have been used as a supply reservoir for the City of Glasgow since 1859.

From early April until late October each year the steamship "Sir Walter Scott" takes passengers from Trossachs Pier on cruises round the loch.

The SS Sir Walter Scott has been sailing on Loch Katrine since 1900 and is the only surviving screw steamer still in regular passenger service in Scotland.

   
Join the Tour

Continue the Tour


To Callander
   


Enter The Glasgow Web Site  

Clyde Valley   Comments   Biggar-Net    


www@biggar-net.co.uk

The Glasgow Web Site The Magic Lighthouse 1998.

The Clyde Valley Web Site Biggar-Net 1998.

Disclaimer.

Biggar-Net